For the salmon to be classified as organic it must be farmed to the EU organic regulations and audited by DEBIO.
The main criteria for our organic salmon are:
- The density in the pen is not allowed to be more than 10 kg/m3 (compared to maximum 25/m3 for conventional salmon.
- The fish meal and fish oil in the feed is made by offcuts.
- The pigmentation used is Panaferd which is a natural colorant. This gives the Salmon the same natural color as conventional salmon.
- Salmar is using cleaner-fish to help keep the salmon free of sea lice.
- The nets are not treated with anti-fouling which contains copper.
- If fish must be treated by medications, the withdrawal time is 3 times longer than for conventional salmon.